Thursday, January 12, 2012

Mosaic

"Mosaic-Pieces of My Life So Far" by Amy Grant

I didn't know Amy wrote a book! She is my long time favorite Christian singer, I grew up listening to her and attended a handful of her concerts when I was young. I will admit when she crossed over to pop and got a divorce I lost interest. But have since put my judgements aside and treasured her music again. And after reading her book I'm sorry I ever judged her in the first place. Who am I to judge? It's not like I had a clue what her life was like! Anyway, my dad got this book for me for Christmas and it was really good. She writes about her life and her music, sometimes offering us insight as to the lyrics of a song. "Salt water is the greatest component of our world, yet some people have never seen an ocean. That doesn't change the ocean. It is constant and powerful, and like the love of God, whether we're immersed in it, standing on the shore, or a thousand miles away, it remains." I think that is a great picture of God, no matter where we may be with Him, He is always there, waiting for us. "Did I live this day in a way that honored the One who gave me this day?" Oh what a great question to ask at the end of the day or even to start your day with that prayer. "I love you, but I can't say I always understand you. What I can say is that I welcome you. I welcome you, and whatever you bring to the table is enough." Vince said this to Amy and wow how profound. That even if you don't understand me, because heck, I don't even understand me all the time, just love me and let me be enough. I love that. "The life which gives multiplies itself; the life which absorbs destroys itself and others. All nature is built upon the plan of giving. The sun gives its light and heat, the bird its song, the lilac its odor, the orchard yields its fruit for the good of man, the field its grain for the same purpose. If a man is not a giver, he is out of harmony with his surroundings. If he makes a dead sea of himself, he becomes fatal to anything that seeks life from him." Amy's Granddad wrote this and I love how it connects us with nature and what God created. God created us like Him and He gave. We were created to give and in giving we are made whole. If you love Amy and her music you will love this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment