Saturday, March 29, 2014

Dinner with the Smileys

"Dinner with the Smileys" by Sarah Smiley

This story is about a military family whose dad/husband is deployed for a year.  The wife and three sons are home to endure a year without their dad/husband.  They decide to have someone over for dinner every week to mark the weeks.  Dinner can be a lonely time as they can physically see the empty chair.  The dinners turned into so much more than they could have imagined.  They had teachers, senators, athletes, musicians, neighbors and many others over for dinner.  The boys got to learn about many things and meet lots of people.  Many people rallied around this family and showed support when they needed it most.  I'm so proud of those who serve in our military and the families that also sacrifice so much for our freedoms.  "I believe parents always have one child who keeps them in a state of suspended, uncertain emotion."  I know I do.  "I don't want to be the mom who thinks things are impossible.  I don't want to teach my kids that doing less is better.  I don't want them to think that anything stands in their way."  Sarah had to go it alone and be both mom and dad for a year. She had to think about what her husband would say or do in many different circumstances with the boys.  She had to be willing to take some risks, willing to see that the lesson learned was worth it.  We all want our children to soar and that always involves some risk.  I know I want my children to know that they can face hard things and do them with the help of their community around them and with God.  I enjoyed this book as it gives an inside look on military families and the hardship they endure when a parent is deployed.  I liked that the community and friends joined with this family.  It made me grateful to our military and their families and grateful for my family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment