Monday, March 3, 2014

A Thousand Splendid Suns

"A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini

Khaled is becoming a favorite of mine.  His writings about Afghanistan have intruiged me.  Iv'e yet to read The Kite Runner, his most famous work, but it's on my list.  This story tells of the turmoil and devastation Afghanistan and its people have endured from all of its wars.  It gives faces to those who have suffered.  I'll admit it was a bit hard to read as the reality of what has gone on in this country is hard for this American to swallow.  But it tells a tale of great sacrifice, of love and of friendship.  This was a great book, heart wrenchingly good. I would highly recommend reading it.  I honestly don't know a lot about the culture or the history of Afghanistan except what is portrayed in the news, and I think this book, and his others, tell a more personal story of it all.  It is a powerful book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment