Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Hotel On The Corner Of Bitter And Sweet

"Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" by Jamie Ford
What a good book! This is a historical novel about the Japanese internment camps. It is a part of history that I admit I don't know much about and after reading this I am curious to know more about, although I am also angered at what occurred. But this story is a story of hope, love and commitment. In the basement of an old hotel that is being renovated, belongings of Japanese families are discovered. This takes one man back to his childhood and the woman he loved once upon a confusing and exciting time. "But choosing to lovingly care for her was like steering a plane into a mountain as gently as possible. The crash is imminent; it's how you spend your time on the way down that counts." Henry, the main character, says this after he cared for his wife while she was dying from cancer. Our death, the crash, is imminent for us all but it is how we spend our life that matters. "It doesn't matter how nice home is-it just matters that it feels like home." I love my home and I love that others feel at home in my home even if I don't have the latest, greatest things. This book will have you crying, laughing, angry, sad and wondering why.

No comments:

Post a Comment