Friday, December 16, 2011

For One More Day

"For One More Day" by Mitch Albom
I like the author and have read his other books, Tuesdays With Morrie and the Five People You Meet In Heaven. I found this one at the Dollar Store which I'm not sure speaks much for it but I wanted to give it a read. And, I like it. I like how Mitch writes simple little books that have a big message and are full of little antidotes. This book is the story of a mother and a son, and a relationship that lasts a lifetime and beyond. It explores the question: What would you do if you could spend one more day with a lost loved one? (taken from the cover) I love the simplicity of this book, the story of redemption and how it shows that it is never too late to turn things around. "Have you ever lost someone you love and wanted one more conversation, one more chance to make up for the time when you thought they would be here forever? If so, then you know you can go your whole life collecting days, and none will outweigh the one you wish you had back. What if you got it back?" It is so important to tell those we love that we love them. We think they will be here and one day they aren't. I don't want to have any regrets. "There's only your life, how you mess it up, and who is there to save you." I'm so grateful to God that He has saved me and put people in my life that help me on my journey. "When death takes your mother, it steals that word forever." "Children forget that sometimes. They think of themselves as a burden instead of a wish granted." I think on hard days with my girls and constant battles of will I forget how hard I prayed God to give them to me. I need to remember that they are a prayer answered. "I knew so little about my mother over the last decade of her life. I had been too wrapped up in my own drama." It's funny how it changes as a child to all about you and then you become an adult with a family of your own and you want to talk with your mom and find out all about her and how she did things. I don't want my own drama to overshadow finding out about my parents. "There may be times that you fight, and sometimes you won't even like each other. But those are the times you have to love your marriage. It's like a third party. Look at your wedding photos. Look at any memories you've made. And if you believe in those memories, they will pull you back together." Just as it is with kids on those tough days so it is with your spouse. Sometimes you won't like each other but it helps to go back and look at those wedding photos and remember the happiness of that day and why God chose this person for you. Love your marriage, I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment