Friday, June 3, 2011

Waking: A Memoir of Trauma and Transcendence

"Waking: A Memoir of Trauma and Transcendence" by Matthew Sanford
This book is about a boy who was in a car accident with his family. His father and sister were killed. His mother and brother were not hurt and he was left paralyzed. It is a story of overcoming and connecting to who we are and the hand we have been dealt. He started to have feelings in his legs and was told by the Dr. that these were just phantom feelings. "It's not easy to be told that what you are feeling isn't real." This book helped me to really focus on today and what was happening around me. I am a planner and always thinking about the next thing which in turn makes it so, often, I don't enjoy the moment. While I was reading this I really tried to be "in the moment". I noticed the birds chirping, how the sun felt on my skin, my girls laughter and chatter, the sound of my feet on the pavement as I was running, the green of the grass and the blue of the sky. I was overcome with gratefulness and awe at the world around me and regret that I don't do this more often. "But without these difficulties, I would not be who I am." The trials shape us, make us who we are, stronger, better and wiser. "Life presents its purpose and beauty in all sorts of ways. The trick is to stay open to one's strength, to not deny or strive to prove it, but rather to simply have it." My complaint about this book is that it turned towards the New Age as he starts yoga and becomes a yoga teacher. But beside that it was a good read and opened my eyes to embracing challenges and being thankful for all that I do have.

No comments:

Post a Comment