Monday, May 17, 2010

The Poisonwood Bible

"The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver

I really enjoyed this book. It made me laugh and also made me angry. I enjoy a book that can invoke different emotions in me. This book is about a preacher who moves his family to the Congo for a mission trip. The story is told through the words of his daughters and his wife. One of the daughters is a teenager and totally self-centered. Her writing is just hilarious. This was a well written book and though long it kept me hooked throughout all 550 pages. A quote I liked, "Misunderstanding is my cornerstone. It's everyone's, come to think of it. Illusions mistaken for truth are the pavement under our feet. They are what we call civilization." I would say this book is worth a read. It gets you to thinking what missionaries give up to serve Christ and also how we go into other cultures with many misconceptions, trying to push our ways on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment