Tuesday, April 8, 2014

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk

"How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk" by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish

This might be the book that has the longest title ever but it is a great resource.  I think the information in the book is a lot of common sense but as parents we get so exasperated with our children that common sense tends to go out the window.  There are many great steps to not yell, to keeping your cool, and to giving your child choices.  The main point is to see our children as humans with valid feelings and capabilities.  We often don't give our children enough credit or we think what they are feeling is silly.  I know that when someone overlooks my feelings it makes me feel not heard or that I don't matter, this is not what I want to portray to my children.  The book has lots of examples, lots of different situations and exercises that you can do.  I thought the book was very helpful and had tangible things I can say with my children when a problem arises.  "It's a bittersweet road we parents travel.  We start with total commitment to a small, helpless human being.  Over the years we worry, plan, comfort, and try to understand.  We give our love, our labor, our knowledge and our experience-so that one day he or she will have the inner strength and confidence to leave us."  I recommend reading this book if you have children in your life in any fashion, as a parent, a grandparent, a foster parent, an aunt or uncle, a teacher or even as a neighbor.  It will encourage you and give you tools to better communicate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment