Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Red Tent

"The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant

This book is about Dinah of the bible.  Dinah is the only daughter of Jacob and not a lot is said about her.  This book is written from Dinahs perspective.  It was an interesting book that opened my eyes into the women of the bible and how they lived.  I was fascinated by the way they lived and the bonds they shared.  Women honored each other and I think that today there isn't enough of that.  We are all in this together, why don't we build each other up instead of tear each other down? I don't know how much liberty was taken but I found the book intriguing none the less.  "Why had no one told me that my body would become a battlefield, a sacrifice, a test?  Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"  Truly, you don't know till you go through it and truly, being a mother takes great courage.  "The painful things...seemed like the knots on a beautiful necklace, necessary for keeping the beads in place."  There is no beauty without pain, all the hard things in life make it that much more beautiful and meaningful.  "I am so honored to be the vessel into which you pour this story of pain and strength."  It is an honor to sit with another in their pain, it is truly a sacred place.  I enjoyed this book and the tale it told.  It made me think about the women in my life and how I need to be buliding them up.  It also made me think about my own two girls and the things that I want to pass on to them.  All in all a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment